Monday, March 19, 2012

Doodh Peda

This recipe for doodh peda (a milk sweet with nuts) is another great one from my Lalli Periamma (my aunt)! She taught me how to make this for my sister's baby shower last year. We even put it in a candy mold to get baby-themed shapes like rocking horses, rattles and safety pins. It looked really cute! The dough is very malleable when warm so you can get creative but the traditional shape is the circle. The secret ingredient in this sweet is ricotta cheese! It's really delicious. 

This batch pictured was made by my mom over the weekend. She called up my aunt to make sure she had the process down pat. As you can tell this treat is family favorite. It's actually my mom's birthday this week so happy early birthday Amma! Hope you have a very sweet year ahead:)

Here are the recipe details from my periamma:

Ingredients:

1 small tub ricotta cheese (I think it's around 400g)
1 cup milk powder  
3/4 cup almond powder             
1/4 cup ghee (clarified butter)
1 cup sugar           
1 tsp cardamom                       
1 pinch saffron                          
1/2 cup chopped pistachios

Directions:
Use a non-stick pan and mix all ingredients.  Cook on stovetop  in medium heat.  When it starts rolling freely on the non-stick pan, add cardamom powder and mix it well.  Remove the pan from the stove top and put the cooked doodh peda on a plate.  Roll it into small flattened balls and put the crushed pistas on the top 

3 comments:

Suja Manoj said...

Looks divine,yummy sweet

Umm Mymoonah said...

Yummy looking sweet.

Shari said...

This looks amazing!!! I can't wait to make these this weekend!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
google-site-verification: googlec38f199ff592e410.html