Saturday, January 16, 2010

Homemade Granola Bars


I love eating granola bars for snack. It always seems like a healthy alternative to other junk food that tempts me in the afternoon. I didn't realize how easy they are to make yourself.

I have a very simple recipe that requires minimal prep and bakes in less then 30 minutes. It's also great treat to take to school or work.

You can get creative with you fruit and nut combination. I used whatever was available at home. It just happened to be the delicious combo of dates and almonds.

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups oats
1 can condensed milk (300 ml)
1 cup almonds
1 cup chopped dates (raisins, cranberries or apricots would work well too)

Directions

Heat oven to 325 degrees

In a large mixing bowl combine oats, almonds and dates. Pour in condensed milk. Mix well.

Grease a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil with oil or butter. Pour mixture on to it and flatten it to about 1/4" height. Try to make it rectangular so it will be easier to cut later.

Bake for 25 minutes.

Let it cool for 20 minutes. Cut into squares and enjoy!

You could add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips to make it more indulgent.

I didn't add any sugar because the condensed milk is sweet enough and the dates were soaked in honey.

Verdict: They are very satisfying and a little bit goes a long way. I was going to cut them into long bars but the little squares are the perfect size for snacking.

The oats are very filling and also have cholesterol lowering properties. Dates and almonds are a good source of potassium and magnesium so this is one snack you won't feel guilty about eating.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who finished most of the bars I am entitled to pass the verdict- it is awesome , so does -my car pool buddy - Bessie with whom I shared it.In her words- make sure you keep some in the van so we can have it while driving back!
amma

June said...

Your blog is alive again! YAY!

The granola bars look good. I can't wait to try making them!! I DEFINITELY get the snack craving on most afternoons...

marriedtoadesi.com said...

I'm going to make this at home -- they look fantastic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
google-site-verification: googlec38f199ff592e410.html