Friday, January 1, 2010

Coconut Lime Macaroons


I went to a wonderful New Year's party at my friend Av's condo to ring in 2010. He asked me to bring a dessert item.

I started to think about what would make a good party dessert. It had to be something that people could pick up and eat easily. It also had to be unique and interesting. At first I thought I'd make pecan bars again but they are quite rich and sticky.

I browsed some recipes online and found one for coconut macaroons. I love the combination of lime and coconut. The flavours take you to a tropical island.

This recipe is really simple and the result is very tasty. They are hard on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside.

Ingredients:

1 cup condensed milk
3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup flour
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp lime zest
1/4 tsp salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pour condensed milk into a bowl. Add lime juice, shredded coconut, flour, lime zest and salt. Mix well. Add more coconut if it seems too runny.

Roll in to small round balls and place on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Bake for 12-13 minutes until brown.

Let it cool for 10 minutes before trying to take them off the foil. They will fall apart if you are too eager. Once they are cool they will peel off very easily.

The bottoms are pretty brown because the condensed milk caramelizes in the heat. Cooked condensed milk becomes dulce de leche, a South American staple.

Next time I would use unsweetened coconut because the condensed milk is sweet enough.

Happy New Year! May it be filled with many delicious adventures.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love coconut burfi which amma use to make with cashew in it, but this is number one- heaven in the mouth!
Such a good delicious coconut milk laddoo with no fuss and hundred percent result!I loved the brown part at the bottom!
love
amma

PG said...

Wow, home-made macaroons! Will definitely try n make some over the weekend. Keep up the great blog. Truly inspiring :)

jana Iyer said...

Sounds yummy! I will certainly try it one day. Jana

Wendy said...

Just a clarification, you mean sweetened condensed milk, not evaporated milk, right? (Main reason I ask is that sweetened condensed milk doesn't "pour" very well and I was afraid I was misunderstanding what you used.) This sounds so good, I'm trying it very soon!

Savithri said...

Yes, Wendy I mean sweetened condensed milk. The stickiness helps bind everything together!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
google-site-verification: googlec38f199ff592e410.html