Sunday, January 3, 2010

Grated Carrot Salad


My friend Sheena and her husband Scott came over for a South Indian lunch. In my culture it is customary to invite newly married couples home for a special meal. My mom made masala dosa, sambar and coconut chutney.

I made a carrot salad with cauliflower and bean sprouts. In South India it's called carrot kosumalli or carrot kosumbari. It is a colourful, refreshing salad that is very simple to make. All you need is a grater!


Ingredients
2 large carrots, peeled and grated
3 large cauliflower florets grated
1 big handful of beansprouts
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
Salt to taste (about 1/4 tsp)
1 tbsp chopped cilantro for garnish

Directions
Mix grated carrot, cauliflower and beansprouts together. Squeeze lemon over it. Add salt. Mix well. Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!

You can be as creative as you want with this dish. You could even add pomegranate seeds or raw mango. My dad likes to add chopped almonds.

A more traditional recipe includes urad daal, a lentil that adds protein to the dish, green chillies and spluttered mustard seeds for flavour.
Sheena and I used to experiment a lot in the kitchen when we were roommates in university. Then she was lucky enough to marry a trained chef whose culinary experiments are definitely more successful than ours. Scott already got the recipe for potato masala from my mom to try out at home. I'm looking forward to hearing how it turns out!

3 comments:

marriedtoadesi.com said...

This salad goes so well with south indian food! Pictures are cool!

Priyanka said...

My Mum makes this salad but without the cauliflowers. Cauliflowers sound like a wonderful addition!

Nice Blog!

myspicykitchen said...

I make this salad too but without cauliflower... Sometimes I use mong dal sprouts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
google-site-verification: googlec38f199ff592e410.html