Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Chili Hot Chocolate!

I wanted to have a unique posting for the JFI- Chilies event, hosted by Nandita from the Saffron Trail. Since it is my first time participating in a food blogging event I went and bought new cups to display my recipe in!

So I'll begin by explaining the inspiration for my post. I had remembered seeing an episode of Everyday Italian in which Giada used chili oil in her chocolate mousse dessert. I thought it would be nice to adopt that idea into something else like hot chocolate. With a bit of research on the internet I found out that chili in chocolate is an ancient Mayan combination!

I wanted the drink to taste like the amazing chocolat chaud (or Haute Chocolat as I read elsewhere) I had in Paris so I've combined some Mayan, Parisian and Indian elements into my own creation. I adapted the recipe from the bibliocook site.

Here is my version:

1 1/2 cups milk (it will taste better with whole milk)
a pinch of red chili powder (lets say 1/8 tsp-a little goes a long way)

2 cloves
2 cardamom pods
1 47g bar dark chocolate
1 1/2 tsp cocoa powder (not hot chocolate powder)


Break the chocolate bar into small pieces and melt them. You can use a bain marie (double boiler) or the microwave.
Warm up the milk on the stove and add the chili powder, cloves and cardamom (cinnamon would be nice but I didn't have any). Add in the melted chocolate and the cocoa powder. Adjust it to your own taste. The chili powder gives the chocolate a wonderful kick in the back of your mouth as you drink it.

I recommend adding sugar if it is too spicy. A sugar rimmed glass would be nice decorative presentation! A whip cream topping would make this an indulgent dessert and help cool it down if its too spicy. Milk froth is the diet option!

I wanted my picture to look like this one I saw but it didn't work out. I also got distracted while melting my chocolate and wanted to make chocolate covered bakshanam because my Mom had brought back some tasty treats from India yesterday. It was kind of like a chocolate covered pretzel with the sweet/salty combination. It tasted kinda cool but I'd rather have the bakshanam on its own because I don't get it very often!

Hope you enjoy experimenting:)


16 comments:

Suganya said...

I had this idea too. But with temp in 110s I wasnt inclined to make hot-chocolates :)

Tee said...

Looks good! I like the combination of chillies and chocolate and I too saw it first on Everyday Italian.:)

marriedtoadesi.com said...

Nice one Savithri...I like the cups too!

Kanchana

archana said...

This idea is really unusual.Nice entry :)

bee said...

i love this drink. was looking for a recipe. thanks.

SPICE OF LIFE said...

Hey nice idea ...will have to try it someday ...chocolate with chilli is a new concept for me :-)I like the mugs too ...:-)

Vcuisine said...

The drink is inviting Savithiri. Viji

USHA said...

Drink looks yummy....excellent presentation...

Asha said...

Ah!!! Chilli hot Chocolate!!
I know Mexicans have a Mole` dish with chocolate and chicken,must be tasty:)

rav said...

I never would've considered chilli in hot chocolate before, but it looks very tasty!

TBC said...

Hi Savithri,
I came here thro' Ashwini's blog.
Chilli hot chocolate looks good. I too saw that episode on the Food Network.I am going to give this a shot when it gets cooler here.
Thanks!

Nandita said...

Hey Savithri,
I went out and bought those Irish Coffee mugs too, when I had a Irish Coffee craze, now I use them to hold pens that dont work LOL

You've done plenty research into that cup of coffee, superb effort and it sure looks like an expensive gourmet coffee :)
Thanks for the entry

Caroline@Bibliocook said...

I like your addition of cardamom and cloves - will have to try that next time I'm making hot chocolate!

Poonam said...

Hi Savithri, Obviously I was kicked in by the name of this recipe. Different one. You have a nice blog.

Nags said...

lovely idea! and u r Kanch's sis..its so lovely to meet u online :)

and yeah, sisters are ever encouraging :)

blogrolled you, babes :)

Subha said...

Hey! You should see the movie Chocolat w Johnny Depp.... Mayan chilli hot choc is featured in the film, along with several other choc deliciousness!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
google-site-verification: googlec38f199ff592e410.html