Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Ravenous for Rosti


As you probably know, I am an experimenter when it comes to food. I don't usually follow a recipe. I think it is because I hate having to get all the ingredients together. I'd rather use whatever I have on hand. It seems to work out fine. Case in point, the rosti I concocted! It is very easy and super tasty. You can make so many variations based on what flavours you like (or what you have on hand!).

Here is the basic idea: Peel and grate a big potato (yes, raw). Grate a handful your favourite cheese (I used mozzarella). It will be your binding agent. Don't add salt or your potato will release its water. Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a non-stick pan (or cleaning will be a pain because the cheese will stick to it). Splutter some jeera, add chilli powder and turmeric (a pinch). Add a handful of the potato cheese mixture and a pinch of salt to taste. Mix it with the spices and let it brown. I had sautéed some mushrooms which I also added to the pan when mixing up the potato and spices. Cook on both sides, top with some grilled veggies and tomato (or a salsa would be good too)! You could serve it with some sour cream or yogurt for a contrasting taste. I think adding green chilies would taste good too.

If you leave your potato out too long it will turn brown. You can rinse it in cold water and it will turn white again. But my mom would say you are washing away the nutrients.

Enjoy experimenting!

6 comments:

marriedtoadesi.com said...

Looks delicious! Nice picture.

Anonymous said...

I tasted it rather ate it as a big meal! It was delicious. Thanks Savithri!

Love,
Dad

Adonia said...

Sounds like you'll be giving Marche some competition!

rav said...

"Splutter" is my word of the day.

Anonymous said...

dear savithri: sounds good . i like mine with the waxy kind of potatoe as it does not crumble and has a nice taste. Washing it removes the starch which will bind it. I like your variations and can't wait to try it with some grated cauliflower - sort of an aloo gobi variation!sometimes i like to add a tiny amount of ada maavu on top for a crunchy taste. amma

btsvoice said...

Awesome recipe! I tried it out and it was really yummy!! Simple and yet delicious. I have posted a picture of how it turned out on my blog .. http://btsvoice.blogspot.com/2010/08/quick-new-trial.html

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
google-site-verification: googlec38f199ff592e410.html