Monday, June 11, 2007

Les crepes et les galettes sont tres chouette!

Our first meal in Paris was crepes! I was so excited to eat cheese so I selected the crepe au fromage. It was cheesy goodness but I had trouble finishing the whole thing. We went to a small little creperie near our hotel. The lady made if fresh in front of us on a large circular metal surface. She twirled this T shaped stick thing to spread it around evenly. It was awesome. Then she cooks it perfectly and adds whatever topping you want!




Maileen chose nutella and banana which looked and tasted delicious. Nutella is very popular in France. I noticed it in a number of desserts in restaurants too. The chocolate hazelnut combination is always delicious. It reminds me of Ferrero Rocher!









The cheese was delicious. What a start to our Parisian adventure!










Later in the week, we went to another creperie that was a proper restaurant. We went after we visited Sacre Coeur, the church in Monmartre famous for its 24 hour prayer by monks. We tried galettes which are buckwheat crepes and are traditionally savoury. Mine was filled with champignons and crème fraiche (mushrooms and sour cream) and Maileen's was filled with tomato and peppers and seasoned with cumin. They were both delicious. The crispy galette reminded me of dosa! It was very thin and had a different texture than the ones we had from the street stalls. We also had salad vert. I got one with walnuts in it!

Maileen had read that when you want tap water you simply ask for a "carafe d'eau." That was a really helpful phrase to know or else they will give you bottled water which is like 10 euros.

Make sure you get crepes made fresh in front of you...if they are pre-made they are a little too chewy. If you go to Paris, crepes and galettes are a must! You will not regret it!

I initially thought my post title translated to "Crepes and galettes are cool" but have learned that chouette means cute. I'm going to keep it because I like the fact that galette and chouette rhyme. That's another thing I learned in Paris- You need to make an effort to speak French. It's the only way to learn. I was apprehensive at first and was shy to speak because I would make mistakes but by the end of the week I was much better. J'adore Paris:) C'est tres belle!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Savithri,

You look very lovely in the picture!
I am happy you enjoyed your Paris trip.

Love,
Dad

marriedtoadesi.com said...

Cool Pictures! Sounds like you really experienced some great parisian culture!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
google-site-verification: googlec38f199ff592e410.html