Friday, March 30, 2007

Grand Finale Cakes!

This week was supposed to be my big finish for cake decorating class. Unfortunately, I got sick and missed Wednesday's make up class for course 1.

On Thursday I decided I was feeling sufficiently better to attend. We learned a lot so I'm glad I made it. The most interesting technique was the basket weave. It looks pretty complicated but once you practice it a few times you get the hang of it. My cake was way too crumbly though. I didn't trim it down from fear that it would completely disintegrate so I had a very tall cake and a lot of surface area to cover in basket weave. My crumb control issues were pretty severe but I knew it would be covered up by the weave pattern. The flowers really add an extra special look to the cake. Even though I can identify so many imperfections it looks pretty as a whole. I am really happy I took the class. I learned a lot of things I would not have been able to figure out on my own. It was great going with Renu as well. I recommend this activity as a great bonding class between good friends:)

Here is the cake I had prepared for the Course 1 Finale. I bought a chocolate sponge cake from Longo's. I was so much easier to ice and had hardly any crumb control issues. I put the flowers on top to decorate it that Kanchana and I had made on the weekend. I love the colours. They look so delicate and lovely! The actual cake should have some dots and a border at the bottom but I was too tired to finish it after class. I'll have to attend another Course 1 Finale class to get my certificate so you can expect another post next month. Mom took the cakes to her school for her class. They apparently licked the plates clean and wanted a 'flower piece'. Heehee. I did when I was a kid too:)


7 comments:

marriedtoadesi.com said...

I wanna flower piece too!

Adonia said...

Lovely & Amazing, as the creator...

amma said...

Dear Savithri:
It was befitting that the finale should go to children who have worked so hard these two terms and shown great progress in their interpersonal skills- if I may say blossoming into great citizens!
The cake had many "ahs and oohs" with requests for the "flowers". The best was the few crumbs which was with the last slice and eagerly eyed by many so they could have crumbs and the extra frosting!

marriedtoadesi.com said...

Love the new header and the apu at the bottom!! hee hee.

shilpa said...

Hey I am also doing Wilton's classes. I have 3rd class of course-2 today. You have done a great job, I am yet to learn a lot.

(Shilpa - www.aayisrecipes.com)

Subha said...

Savithri - I'm thoroughly impressed with your decorating skills...I was impressed with those cupcakes from a while back, but these cakes/flowers/designs are something else!

can't wait for my birthday :D

shilpa(aayisrecipes) said...

Savitri, are you taking the next course too? Can we expect some more pictures? I joined the "Gum and Fondant" course, may be will do course-3 some other time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
google-site-verification: googlec38f199ff592e410.html