Sunday, February 4, 2007

Heart shaped cupcakes

My mom and I spent some time together and made carrot cake cupcakes with a delicious orange cream cheese icing. The cake was good but the icing was awesome. I got these really cute heart shaped cupcake silicone pans that inspired me to do some baking.

The addition of orange was not planned but worked out beautifully! Initially I was thinking of adding some lemon zest to the top of the cupcakes but we didn't have any lemon at home. My mom suggested using orange and it worked out even better! I had picked up a zester from the store just for this. I think I'll be trying to make some candied orange and lemon zest soon.

Making the cake from scratch was a mission. I think it was a little dense because it was eggless. Perhaps more baking powder is necessary. I used a recipe that I found off the internet:

1.5 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 tsp baking powder
1 large carrot grated
1/4 cup milk
pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg (I used .5 tsp mace)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup walnuts

Mix the flour and sugar. Add the butter (melted). Add carrots, milk, baking powder, salt and spices, raisins and walnuts. Bake at 350 F until golden.

The icing is very easy. 1 package of cream cheese. I work for Kraft so use Philly. 1/4 cup softened butter. 1 cup icing sugar. Pinch of salt. Squeeze of orange juice and zest of 1 orange.

Cream together butter and cream cheese. Using a fork is helpful. Add in icing sugar 1/3 at a time. Mix in salt, orange juice and zest. Voila- a delicious icing that is a definite crowd pleaser. I used piping bags to decorate the cupcakes. I think it adds a nice effect.

2 comments:

Kanchana said...

Looks yummie! Wish I could have one....I think the orange is a great idea :)

your assistant! said...

Savithri: I shared it with my friends and they thought it was yummy and very classy! Like we expected the icing was a big hit both in looks and taste. This is a keeper! Are you ready to take orders for Valentines?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
google-site-verification: googlec38f199ff592e410.html