Sunday, January 21, 2007

"Scrumdiddlyumptious" Sugar Cookies

Last night Rav and I baked sugar cookies and decorated them with the new icing kit I bought from Michaels. It is the kit for Wilton Cake Decorating Course 1. I'm thinking about taking it.

It was fun but much harder than we anticipated. The sugar cookie recipe was from this Gay Lea recipe booklet/in-store advertisement Rav got from the grocery store. Here it is:

Scrumptious Sugar Cookies


We used margarine and it worked fine. I am a believer in the "pinch of salt" brings out the sweetness school of thought.

We had tried the recommended sour cream icing but it was terrible. It tasted really strange (sri kant-ish).
Aside from the batch we burnt, the cookies were pretty straight forward. You have to keep an eye on them. We put the dough in the freezer so it would stay cold longer when we rolled it out and cut out our shapes. Rav has some really great cookie cutter shapes. I thought the stars and hearts looked the best! The lips and arrow through the heart looked good too though!

While we were waiting for the dough to chill, we prepped the icing. We went on to the Wilton website to learn how to use the icing bag and tips provided in the kit I bought. I was really surprised it didn't come with a manual. The website is really good though. It showed us different techniques for the various tips. We practiced leaves. I tried to make a rose on the flower nail but it was really complicated. Plus the consistency of our icing was not correct. At first it was too runny and then I added too much sugar and it became too thick and fondant-ish. We rolled it out and used it to make some maple leaves.

Here are some of the results! The simple ones ended up looking the best. Rav's sister Jyoti and her friend were our official taste testers for the night. I'm sure we passed their extensive and thorough quality control process:)

1 comment:

Kanchana said...

Yummy. I wan some.
Keep it up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
google-site-verification: googlec38f199ff592e410.html